Summary of Qualifications
- Ph.D. in technical communication and rhetoric
- Over 15 years industry experience in user experience and content
- Over 13 years instructing multimedia writing and Web authoring at a collegiate level
- Commitment to customer-focused user interface/experience content
- Solid ability to deliver concise, accurate, fitting content
- Strong cross-collaboration skills with various teams
Texas Tech University – Lubbock, Texas
2012 – Doctor of Philosophy, Technical Communication and Rhetoric
Arizona State University – Tempe, Arizona
2002 – Post-Baccalaureate Certificate, Multimedia Writing and Technical Communication
2003 – Master of Arts, Religious Studies
1999 – Bachelor of Arts, Religious Studies, Minor in Anthropology
2008 – Current
Senior UX Writer – User Experience Department
- Consistently deliver relevant UX content to inform, orient, and assist GoDaddy customers in Presence & Commerce, Mobile, and email applications.
- Created and maintained the UX department content style guide to establish departmental standards and consistent adherence to them.
- Write marketing and front-of-site content, as needed.
2007 – 2008
Technical Writer – User Experience Design Group
- Wrote documentation related to site builder applications.
- Created help files, walkthrough guides, and online tutorials to assist clients in managing various aspects of their accounts.
- Scripted, recorded, and built instructional on-screen video tutorials, and served as voice talent/narrator.
2006 – 2007
Sales and Support Representative
- Provide sales and technical support to clients for domains, hosting, email, server set-up, and accounts transfers.
Arizona State University
2003 – Current
Associate Faculty – Technical Communication program
- Instruct Principles of Web Authoring and Fundamentals of Writing for Digital Media online (first two years in a classroom setting).
2003 – 2005
Managing Editor/Instructional Designer
- Managed in-house and outsourced writers, supervising research and writing.
- Edited course scripts for content, style, and instructional integrity.
- Built instructional content outlines for web-based courseware.
- Interviewed subject matter experts and performed research to develop course content.
2000 – 2003
Elearning Associate / Client Services Team Lead
- Researched and analyzed content from developers and engineers.
- Built elearning courses in an academic portal.
- Created documents for creating and tracking course creation and updates.
- Quality checked courses and made structural, grammatical, and aesthetic revisions.
- Trained and monitored team members via weekly assessments and quarterly reviews.
- Created policies, procedures, and canned responses for Client Services Specialists.
Sweat the Small Stuff : The importance of page-level content and your style guide
UX Magazine – March, 2016
This article addresses how thinking about essential issues in content design and adhering to a style guide helps ensure your content is both correct and consistent.
New Media in the Online Classroom
Rocky Mountain Communication Review – August, 2009
This paper discusses the transition of one face-to-face class to an online setting, including various online delivery methods. Additionally, it examines the implications of such delivery methods and the incorporation of new media tools.
Expanding Composition Audiences with Podcasting
Computers & Composition Online – Spring 2007
Co-authored with Doug Dangler and Ben McCorkle
This article explores various uses of podcasting that effectively engage different audiences in three major sites of composition: the classroom, the writing center, and the professional composition conference.
2005 Intel ISEF Technical Competition
Intercom Magazine – July 2005
“Digital Orality and the Online Video Conversation:
Simulating Synchronicity and Preserving Humanness in Distance Communication”
The Tenth Annual Convention of the Media Ecology Association – 19th June 2009
“Embedded Online Video Conversations: Simulating Synchronicity in the Online Classroom”
Association of Teachers of Technical Writing Conference – March 2009
“Using Web 2.0 in Education”
Co-presented with Shelley Rodrigo and Alisa Cooper
PodcampAZ – November 2008
“New Media in the Workplace: Delivering Content & Communicating with Web 2.0 Technologies”
PodcampAZ – November 2008
“Structuring New Media with Ancient Tools: Podcasting & the Rhetorical Canon of Delivery”
Federation of North Texas Area Universities Rhetoric Symposium – February 2007
International Science and Engineering Fair
Central Arizona Regional Science and Engineering Fair